Pages

June 28, 2015

Bloomington Lake Trail Run 2015

I have been fortunate enough to have ran trails in some beautiful country, none more beautiful than those in my own back yard. My Dad and my Grandpa shared with me their love for the mountains on the west side of Bear Lake Valley. It is one of my favorite things, to share my love for those same mountains with my friends. The night before our run, as I thought about our run up to Bloomington Lake, I wondered about what I was doing. This is my favorite trail run, but it is fairly long, and very difficult. What kind of warped individual could possibly appreciate it like I do? ...or even like it? Who would want to get up early, drive a long way, then run this type of trail, just for some pretty scenery? ...meet my friends.



Shawn Harrison, Sheldon Wood, TJ Wood, Myself, Mandi McBride, Adrian Toledo, Michael Rice, Tiffiny Goodwin-Melton, Lisa VanDyke


We started up the North Fork of St Charles Canyon. It gives you a couple nice miles along the stream to warm up. Then we turned and went up Snowslide. That becomes a 3 mile climb that is pretty tough, but once you break out onto the ridge, the views are worth it.


It is hard to catch the beauty of the wild flowers in a photograph. In late June, the Sunflowers, and the rest of the wild flowers are pretty amazing.


...as are the views along the Highline Trail, a trail that stretches all the way from Soda Point (near Soda Springs, Idaho) to Beaver Creek Campground (near Beaver ski resort).


Adrian enjoying a break at a trail marker


It's good having friends in high places. ...or, it's fun getting high with your friends. Take your pick.


Tiffiny enjoying some downhill. She deserves it. Her and Mike ran 25 miles the day before this, and 10 more miles the night before that. Some runners like to take crazy to an all new level.


Douglas Adams writes that the secret to flying, is to throw yourself at the ground, and miss. Lisa seems to have that down.


TJ & Sheldon getting after it. TJ has joined me on this group run every year. It is a fun way to spend time with my daughter. As for her husband, Sheldon, this is the longest run of his life. He is struggling to hide the fact that last summer he retired from running. This is an addictive sport. It is quite impressive that he would pick a run with about 3500' of elevation gain on technical trail as his longest run (so far), and then do so well. 


The view leaving Bloomington Lake


Mountain Goat, I mean Mandi, powering up the hill


I don't think we ever outgrow the pure love we have for splashing through the water, although Mike is doing a great job of trying not to let it show.


Perhaps Mike was just focusing on trying to walk on water.


Lisa can't hide her love for splashing. I thought she would knock Mandi down as she splashed on past her.


...and check out that mischievous grin. I think she might have been thinking about pushing Mandi over in the creek.


Who's having fun


Lisa later completed the trail running experience with a face plant. However, it was a poor effort. There was no blood, her teeth remained intact, and no missing skin. She just didn't put her heart in to it. The judges only gave her a "2.5".


Adrian getting some splash, with Tiffiny next in line


Tiffiny seems to be walking on water and taking flight at the same time.


...okay, maybe not


More splash for Lisa


Then here comes Shawn. He looks as though he may be trying to jump it this time.


...or maybe not


Then there's my daughter, TJ, a total splash queen. She has been known to sign up for long trail races just because they go through the creek lots of times.




You got to love it when someone comes back from retirement. Yea, I think he's hooked. I think I am seeing a hint of fun in this photo.


As for me, I made my splash at the lake. At least this was the only one that there is photographic evidence of, and technically, you're not seeing evidence of the splash here. Perhaps I flew. It felt as though I did, for a brief moment in time anyway.

So there it is, a summer day spent getting high with friends.
...the best of times. 

No comments:

Post a Comment